In these busy times, it is important to unplug and get offline – often. Funnily enough; offline is the new luxury. Taking the time to disconnect from our devices and reconnect with ourselves is critical for our overall wellness. The electromagnetic energy over-stimulates the nervous system; keeping us awake at night and causing us to feel anxious and fidgety.
Take some time to tune in and notice if you are feeling anxious, tired, burnt out and yearning for time away for yourself. Is the online busyness really escapism – are you avoiding anything? Are there things undone, conversations to be had, or issues to be resolved?
Social media is anything but social – it keeps us from connecting in ‘real time’ with friends and family; but mostly it keeps us from connecting to ourselves. It is really ‘anti-social media’.
6 Ways to Disconnect and Reconnect:
- Leave your phone at home, got for a long walk and reconnect with nature; with mother earth. Breath in the fresh air and feel the ground beneath your feet. Being connected to Mother Earth is grounding – allowing our bodies to dump the energy of stress and take in new fresh energy from the feet.
- Tune into your inner awareness. Time offline gives your brain a well-needed rest and will allow new creative ideas and solutions to emerge. Really – this works! Every time I take time away from the mental clutter of devices, social media, email, the clarity and ideas return.
- Take some time to simply breath; in silence. Even five minutes will make a world of difference in your day. The busier your life, the more time offline you need to replenish and nourish yourself. You can reset your nervous system with long deep breathing while you sit in silence.
- When you go offline, stay offline, make sure you set clear boundaries and do not allow yourself to get hijacked into responding to email or ‘just this one text.’
- Take time out for long hot Epsom salt baths, light some candles, use some calming essential oils, and put on some relaxing music. As you relax in the bubbles, allow yourself time to tune into your inner awareness.
- Lie down on the floor (called savasana or relaxation pose in Yoga). Breath here, allow your back, neck and shoulders to unwind. Hug your knees into your chest and roll along the full length of your spine for a few minutes. This exercise acts like a chiropractic adjustment!
Allow yourself to just be with whatever emerges for you in your quiet time. Images, colours, ideas, clarity, and insight can all show up for you. When you are ready to re-enter the world you carry this stillness, the ideas and balance with you, which in turn creates a ripple effect in your world. The inner world always affects the outer world. Spring is a great time to adopt fresh new ways of living our lives.
Plant new seeds this spring –
new seeds that will flourish
with time, space, silence for your inner growth.
I wish you an abundant Spring season filled with much love, passion and adventure. As always, I am here to support you in this life journey – and welcome your feedback.