Being mindful of the way we start our day can truly set the tone for the entire day. When we rush out of bed we miss a wonderful opportunity to move through the day with peace and kindness. Try not to roll over and check your phone; try this instead.
These are a few ways you can begin, perhaps slowly incorporate one or two to begin. As you notice how amazing you feel, add in one more at a time. Slow is always best to begin, this allows us to fully embrace the new habit.
- Wake up with the light; with the natural sunrise (whenever you can). It is so peaceful to wake up this way.
- Have a soothing alarm – one that might have softer music playing that slowly increases in volume. Harsh music can feel like an attack on our senses after sleeping.
- Take 3 deep inhales and exhales.
- Drink water – you are groggy and out of it from being dehydrated (coffee is fine but have some water first; caffeine is a diuretic)
- Open a window or door – take a breath of fresh air, (quickly if it’s winter) and let your eyes rest on something ‘real’ like a tree.
- Do a few easy stretches to get the blood flowing and get some of the sleeping kinks out of your body.
- Meditate – even if it is just one or two minutes. Each time you get distracted, keep coming back to the breath – try not to follow a thought or engage in what shows up. Say to yourself;: ‘I let that go for now’ or ‘Hmmm….I am thinking’ – and return to the breath.
“Let today be the day you give up who you’ve been
for who you can become.”
– Hal Elrod, author of The Miracle Morning
I wish you abundant fall season filled with much love, passion and adventure. As always I am here to support you in this life journey – and welcome your feedback.