Now that we have moved past the holiday busyness and are back in the swing of things – we might be witnessing some of the same patterns showing up? It is important to reflect on the previous year and then prepare for the future. This will help create a start fresh for 2017!
Before you begin you will want to set the stage for this exercise. Create a cozy relaxed environment by making some tea, lighting a few candles, playing peaceful music and burning some of your favourite incense. Gather a few things you will need. Start by taking some time to review the previous year – get out your journal, agenda/day-timer, vision board, list of goals, Reiki wheel, pen and paper; anything that will remind you of what occurred over the past year, as well as, what you had intended to accomplish.
Then, write down the answer to the following questions:
- What did I accomplish in 2016? What did I work hardest at?
- What surprised me this year? What happened that I had not planned on?
- What were my disappointments?
- If the past year was a movie, would it have been an action movie, comedy, satire, drama, thriller, cartoon, musical or documentary? What title would I give it? What role did I play?
- Which goals or intentions did I set for myself in 2016 did I not complete? What happened?
- What were my greatest challenges in 2016?
- What is the greatest achievement that I’m most proud of in 2016?
- What new learning and insights did 2016 leave me with?
- What will I intentionally leave behind in 2016? (beliefs, habits, patterns or ways of thinking)
- What will I consciously carry forward into 2017 and continue working towards? (Include your I AM statements and affirmations here)
- Write a list of at least 50 things/people/events/
experiences you are grateful for in 2016.
Once you feel complete with your review of the year, you may choose to symbolically release it by safely burning or shredding the paper you wrote on. Now in the spirit of gratitude and with much passion please welcome in all 2017 has to offer.
Complete the exercise by asking yourself if you’ve appropriately celebrated all of your efforts and accomplishments over the year? Remember the seemingly small things may have been integral to bigger shifts. And, what will you do to celebrate and acknowledge all the work you’ve done, the impact you’ve made and the people who have contributed value to your life over the past year? For example, between now and the end of the year I plan to write at least 4 recommendations for people who have contributed to my life in some way. By publicly expressing my appreciation for their influence on my life, I get to contribute to their potential future success and acknowledge their impact. And maybe ask a few of the people closest to you to let you know what you mean to them and how you have contributed to their lives and/or, how you can continue to play a role in their lives.
And enjoy the process! Be playful – have fun!
I wish you an abundant 2017 filled with much love, passion and adventure. As always I am here to support you in this life journey – and welcome your feedback.