Being mindful of the way we begin the day can set the tone for the entire day. When we rush out of bed we miss a wonderful opportunity to move through the day with inner peace, calm and kindness. Try not to roll over and check your phone; try this instead.
These are a few ways to begin your day. Allow yourself to slowly incorporate one or two at a time. As you notice how amazing you feel, add in one more. Slow is always best to begin – this allows us to fully embrace the new habit.
– Wake up with the light; with the natural sunrise (whenever you can). This is a peaceful and calm way to wake up.
– Have a soothing alarm – one that has softer music playing that slowly increases in volume. Harsh music can feel like an attack on our senses after sleeping.
– Take 3 deep and long inhales and exhales.
– Drink water – you are groggy and out of it from being dehydrated (coffee is fine but have some water first; caffeine is a diuretic)
– Open a window or door – take a breath of fresh air and let your eyes rest on something ‘real’ like a tree. (this is so grounding)
– Do a few easy stretches to get the blood flowing and some of the sleeping kinks out of your body.
– Meditate – even if it is just one or two minutes. Each time you get distracted, keep coming back to the breath – try not to follow a thought or engage in what shows up. Say to yourself: ‘I let that go for now’ or ‘Hmmm….I am thinking’ – and return to the breath.
Consider enrolling in a workshop or private session with me to provide you with tools and support. A few workshops happening this October:
October 7: Heal Stress & Anxiety Holistically Workshop (6:00 – 8:30pm) *online
October 14: 5-Minute Wellness Routine: Energy Medicine Workshop (6:00 – 8:30pm) *online
October 21: Meditation Made Easy Workshop – (6:00 -8:30pm) *online