Our bodies were not made for the amount of toxins we take in on a daily basis. In the winter we move our bodies less, spend more time indoors, and eat heavier foods. This time of year requires a little extra work to stay clean from the inside.
What is a detox?
A process to eliminate substances in the body that might come from the way we eat, the air we are breathe while indoors and outdoors, the water we drink, the food we eat and the BIGGEST toxin of all – stress! Toxins can be physical, emotional (the way we feel), and mental (the way we think.)
We can employ simple daily routines to help alleviate some of the symptoms that might show up as: headaches, circles under the eyes, constipation, skin rashes, irritability, impatience, restlessness, poor sleep etc.
8 Detox Ideas For You:
- Dry skin brushing – before a bath or shower. Helps to slough off dead skin cells, increase circulation and stimulate the pores in your skin to perspire more; thereby eliminating toxins.
- Epsom salt baths with baking soda – removes toxins, is grounding and helps the muscles relax.
- Oral detox – try a tongue cleaner to scrape your tongue first thing in the morning. Try the ancient Ayurvedic technique of ‘oil pulling’. It is swishing coconut oil in your mouth to kill bacteria – better than commercial mouthwash.
- Meditation – is not about having no thoughts or an empty head, but instead is simply about creating space between the barrage of thoughts. It is a way to clear the mind for more clarity, focus and increased attention span.
- Your phone – the eyes take a beating from the brightness of your screen. Try turning it down.
- Alarm clock – please don’t sleep with your phone near your head. It greatly disrupts your sleep by changing your brain waves. Try a real alarm clock or leave the phone in your bathroom. (Your phone alarm still works with the wifi turned off.)
- Drying your clothes – dry them outside on the line when you can and when drying indoors; use wool dryer balls.
- Burning white sage – often called ‘smudging’ – the smoke is purifying, and studies have shown it eliminates approximately 80% or more of airborne bacteria for up to one month.
I wish you abundant winter season filled with much love, passion and adventure. As always I am here to support you in this life journey – and welcome your feedback.