Each day I continue to hear how many of you feel overwhelmed with the stress and anxiety of everyday life. Two weeks ago I shared 12 tips to help reduce your stress and anxiety. This week I am sharing foods to further help you manage your stress.
7 Foods to Help Reduce Your Anxiety
- Almonds – They contain zinc – a key element in balancing your mood. Purchase them in their raw form when you can. The healthy fats contained in almonds can help with the brain fatigue that contributes to anxiety. (Tip: I soak and dehydrate all nuts I consume for easy digestion and to make them more bio-available to the body.)
- Blueberries – Have been considered a superfood for many years; these berries contain antioxidants and Vitamin C. Which are greatly needed to help repair the cells from too much stress in the body.
- Oranges – Vitamin C helps lowers blood pressure and can reduce the stress hormone cortisol. Begin the day with freshly squeezed juice and pack a few in your lunch for snacking throughout the day.
- Avocados – I eat them almost every day. They are rich in B vitamins and healthy fats that are so critical for soothing frayed nerves.
- Spinach – Is full of magnesium; another mineral that helps to reduce cortisol. Add them to scrambled eggs, mix with your salad greens, use as the lettuce in your sandwich, toss into soups and stir-fries.
- Oatmeal – this comfort food stimulates the hormone serotonin; known for it’s calming effect. Use old-fashioned oats for a longer lasting effect. (Add in some blueberries and chopped up almonds too.)
- Chocolate – Be careful of the caffeine content if you have very high anxiety. Pure dark chocolate can help reduce the stress hormone cortisol that causes anxiety.
And – drink more purified water. Being dehydrated can actually cause you more anxiety. If you lose as little as 5%; headaches, confusion, fatigue, forgetfulness and elevated heart rate can occur.
Take note of what you are drawn to eat intuitively – you might be on the right track! When you can, please buy local organic food.
Bonus – There are energy medicine practices I offer in the form of classes and healing sessions that reduce stress, and help to heal and manage anxiety. Two examples are Reiki energy healing and Energy Medicine. (Check out this article for more information about Reiki and Energy Medicine.) Both help to retrain the energies in your body, balance your thoughts and emotions, and help you cope with stress in a whole new long-lasting way.
I wish you an abundant 2017 filled with much love, passion and adventure. As always I am here to support you in this life journey – and welcome your feedback.