For an electrical device being grounded means it is connected to the ground in a way that allows for excess energy to safely leave it’s system. Just like a lightening rod is for our home.
For a human it means the same thing; allowing excess energies to leave the body safely and move into the earth. Excess energies could be worry, stress and pain. Grounded is about being present, in the ‘now’; living in the moment, and being connected to our physical body. It is being connected to our root chakra, which is located near the tailbone area of the body.
Why do we need to be grounded –
When we are present and living ‘in the now’ we can fully live our lives. This is essential for our mental, emotional, physical and spiritual balance and wellness. We may feel spacey or like we are stumbling around when ungrounded.
How do we get ungrounded –
Anytime we have not been in contact with the Earth; such as, biking, driving in the car, flying etc. It could occur because of a traumatic event, shocking news, stress, moving to a new home, changing jobs, leaving a marriage etc.
Ways to get grounded –
- Your breathing – deep diaphragmatic breathing helps to calm and relax your mind, emotions and body. It helps to release tension and clear your body of accumulated stress. Breath in through your nose and exhale through your mouth. (exhaling with a deep sigh or sound is also helpful)
- Get outside – get your feet in the grass, soil, or sand. Physically touching the Earth grounds you and has a natural calming effect.
- Practice meditation – sit or lie down, close your eyes and focus your attention on your breathing, without trying to change it in any way. Let yourself relax a bit more with each breath. Set a timer for five minutes to begin, or simply count each round of inhales and exhales. When your mind wanders, return your focus to the breath. (one of my teachers shared this: ‘the mind is like a monkey stung by a million bees’ – so please be patient with yourself)
- Carry a crystal with you – amethyst is a wonderful stone for calming the emotions. Hold the stone in your hand as you walk, sit outside or meditate to keep you present and grounded.
- Take a bath – taking a bath with Epsom salts, baking soda and lavender is both purifying and grounding. It allows you time to relax, breath and have some alone time too.
- Root chakra – located at the base of the spine, this energy centre grounds your energy into the Earth. Place your focus on this location in your body and imagine roots growing out and right down into the Earth, right to the iron core at the centre.
Living life from this grounded place will leave you feeling more present in your life, in your body and help you navigate more effectively from a place of calm and peace.
I wish you an abundant summer filled with much love, passion and adventure. As always I am here to support you in this life journey – and welcome your feedback.